How To Fix A Trash Compactor
As with any appliance, there can be times when the unit just doesn't work the way that it should. By knowing how to fix a trash compactor, you'll be able to keep producing the small blocks of trash so that you may continue managing your home.
Problem #1: No Power
For most homes, the primary issue that the trash compactor faces is a lack of power. This can happen for a number of reasons, so let's cover the most common reasons why power would be lost.
• The appliance has become unplugged. If this is the case, just plug it back in and begin using it once again.
• The breaker has been tripped. Sometimes a breaker can trip on your electrical panel that affects the kitchen. If you have multiple outlets that do not have power and the overhead lights won't turn on, then check your box and press every switch to the on position.
• The GFCI outlet needs to be reset. Every outlet circuit that could be exposed to water or moisture is required to have a GFCI outlet installed. There are two buttons on this outlet: a test and a reset button. If you've got power to some outlets, but not your trash compactor, then try resetting your GCFI.
Direct power issues that deal with a disconnected cord, frayed wiring, or internal issues within the trash compactor are best left to the professional. If you open up the appliance, you may void any warranty that you may have.
Problem #2: It's Stuck
No matter how careful you are, the trash compactor will eventually get something stuck inside of it. This can cause the metal arm to jam up and become stuck inside of the appliance. Here are some ways you can fix that issue.
• Remove the trash. Trash that slides along the arm and doesn't get compacted can cause a jam. Try to remove the trash that is in the way and keep your fingers clear of the pressing mechanism. Avoid add flat, thin items to the compactor in the future.
• It's just stuck. The metal arm is a basic hydraulic gear and over time, it can get dry and that can cause it to get stuck. Use some WD-40 or other similar product, let it soak in, and then try again.
• Flip the switch. Sometimes a brief power surge can help to remove stuck items because it rattles the presser arm. Flip the switch rapidly a few times to see if you get any movement.
Problem #3: It's Grinding, Moaning, or Making Strange Sounds
The reason why it is grinding is either because trash has become stuck or there is an issue internally that must be immediately addressed. Look for trash that could be stuck and if there is none, unplug the unit and call a professional.
Sometimes you can fix a trash compactor, but sometimes you need a little help. Use this guide to solve common problems and you'll be able to keep using this appliance when needed.
Many times, there are issues between a landlord and a tenant that need to be resolved but are failed to do so, because both parties have gone too far with their actions, and have retaliated in the... More
Where there is a landlord, there will also be a tenant, and it is no surprise that these two parties can only work together once there is some sort of agreement, contract or a binding deal in place.... More
Many landlords find it difficult to write and draft a lease agreement. Since every State has its own general template, it can also be difficult to make sure your lease agreement meets all the criteria... More
If you’re a landlord and want to manage your business in a better way, you should endeavor to get in touch with those industry experts who have the experience and the skills to help you do it. This is... More
When you talk about the most common disputes arising between landlords and tenants, nonpayment of rent has to be there in the list. People rent their properties to earn money, and when a tenant... More
If you have ever rented a living space and have had to move many times, you’d already know how difficult it is to find decent, affordable and secure living premises. A person has to deal with the same... More
Landlords across the state have the prime responsibility to make sure they inspect and up keep their property once they have rented it to the tenants. Inspections can occur monthly or yearly depending... More
Everyone knows that a landlord’s job is not easy. These folks have specific duties and responsibilities that they must perform in order to be fair. Being a landlord is not a position but it is, in... More
Asking for a security deposit is quite common in property dealings. The reason to ask for a security deposit is to have something that would help a property owner recover some of their financial... More