can a landlord just throw you out

hi me and my boyfriend rented a place that we like a lot and now our landlord comes to us and tells us that his exwife wants to move in here because her boyfriend threw her out our rent is paid on time every month we are not violating any thing as to when it comes to the house we have no lease but we are on a fixed income can you please tell us what we can do to protect us from being set out in the street with no place to go can they just walk in and put us out or is there steps they have to take

This is another issue that is ...

This is another issue that is going to be very dependent on your local laws and how the state or city views tenants without a lease. In general if you have some agreement with the landlord and have been performing under this agreement then you might be protected by local laws. I would seek some sort of legal counsel, even if it is a local tenants rights organization or the state real estate commission and see if someone can provide you with specific information about the laws and whether or not you are protected.

Question:  hi me and my boyfri...

Question:  hi me and my boyfriend rented a place that we like a lot and now our landlord comes to us and tells us that his exwife wants to move in here because her boyfriend threw her out our rent is paid on time every month we are not violating any thing as to when it comes to the house we have no lease but we are on a fixed income can you please tell us what we can do to protect us from being set out in the street with no place to go can they just walk in and put us out or is there steps they have to take ANSWER:  Actually, no matter what State you live in, if you don't have a written lease agreement then it is construed as Month to Month.   A landlord can terminate a Month to Month lease agreement and have no reason to terminate it.  But they have to give you at least a full 30 day notice.  If you are on an annual lease agreement, the the landlord can't terminate your tenancy without just cause.  He or she would have to wait until the lease is about to expire and then give you a notice that they won't be renewing your lease agreement. Hope this helps.

Very interesting conversation!...

Very interesting conversation! I just wanted to let you know that there's an article in our resource center in case you would like any further details on on tenant eviction rights. You can find that here: http://www.landlordstation.com/info/tenants-eviction-rights.html

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog