Heater problems, rent increases, and late payments

My tenant texted me on October 9th and said the heater was broken and the kitchen sink pipe was leaking.  I called around and was able to find someone to look at both on October 17th.  He fixed the sink that day, but I ended up replacing the heater which he installed October 25th.  My tenant has now requested that I help pay her electric bill because she had to use an electric heater while the wall heater was down  and the bill is $300.00.  October 20th when I called her to come by and look at some other things she said she had a house full of company and could I reschedule.  I believe her guest ran up her electric bill.  Should I help with the bill? This same tenant has lived there for 2 years.  She is section 8 and never pays here portion on time.  I sent her a rent increase last year, but she has never paid the increase.  What should I do?

What agreements do you have in...

What agreements do you have in your signed lease with them?  Do you have a desposit of theirs that you can keep?  If they owe you money and they skipped then the only thing you can do is file a police report for fraud and hope they can find them.

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog