landlord problems

hi my ex-landlord has been bothering my husband and I we only owe him 250.00 in back rent and he is saying he is charging us 20 a day since the rent was last dueon may 15th  can he do this is this legel? we have not lived in his house since may we moved out on june 1 can he do this we never had a lease and we paid for his electric and cable for six years he lived out in the garage and got free cable and electric cause I paid for it all I don't think he can charge me for not living there I told him I can pay him july 26th and I going to give him the 250 I owe that's all I think I owe can you please give me some advise about this and can he take me to court about this what do u think

Question:  Hi my ex-landlord h...

Question:  Hi my ex-landlord has been bothering my husband and I we only owe him 250.00 in back rent and he is saying he is charging us 20 a day since the rent was last due on may 15th  can he do this is this legel? we have not lived in his house since may we moved out on june 1 can he do this we never had a lease and we paid for his electric and cable for six years he lived out in the garage and got free cable and electric cause I paid for it all I don't think he can charge me for not living there I told him I can pay him july 26th and I going to give him the 250 I owe that's all I think I owe can you please give me some advise about this and can he take me to court about this what do u think -Answer:  You say rent was due on May 15th for $250.00. You say you never had a lease. You say he is charging you $20 per day until you catch your rent up in full. You say you moved out on June 1st. You say you paid for electric and cable for 6 years. Okay I think I understand your questions.  First of all, when one doesn't have a written lease agreement, it is automatically a month to month rental agreement, so you really did have a lease, and a lease is a contract.  Since you didn't have a written lease agreement, then I doubt the $20 per day will hold up in court.  This becomes a "he said, she said" scenario.  (Usually $20 per day is high and it depends on the court if they will allow this or not, even if it was in a written lease agreement) Since you didn't have a written lease agreement regarding you paying for the cable and electric, that is a "he said, she said" scenario as well.  Now, the question is, when you moved on June 1st did you give your landlord a 30 day notice that you were leaving?  If not then the Landlord can charge you for the month of June.  A written lease agreement protects you and the landlord.  Please don't ever rent a home from anyone unless they have a written lease agreement in place.   So...as far as I see this, you are okay, unless you didn't give your landlord proper notice.

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog