landlord

Does my landlord have the right to turn off my heat and air unit and refuse to turn it back on? I live in an apartment that is all utilities paid. Never had a problem for 3 years until now. I have asked repeatedly to turn it back on and its refused. - See more at: http://community.landlordstation.com/t5/Ask-the-Experts/Landlord/m-p/1033#U1033

Does your lease have a priovis...

Does your lease have a priovision in it that states what "All utilities paid" means? There should be some definition of what the Landlord is required to provide in terms of utilities. If there is and he/she is not providing them then they are in default of the lease and you do have some legal remedies available to you. 

There is no defination. All it...

There is no defination. All it states is "all utilities paid". I have had heat/air, cable, internet....etc for the last 3 years without problems. Now I have none of it. 

Ok. There are a couple of ways...

Ok. There are a couple of ways to proceed here.  1. Do some research with your local or state attorney general or legal system into the Tenant Protection laws that are in your jurisdiction. I am happy to help with this if you let me know where you are located.  2. Give your landlord notice IN WRITING (dates, signed, and keep a copy for your records) that you believe he is in default of the lease because of this specific action and that if its not remedied you will either be breaking the lease or taking legal action.  3. As a last resort you can take the landlord to small claims court fairly easily. As long as your claim is under $10,000 in most states you just fill out some simple paperwork and the landlord will be forced to defend his position. Beause your lease is slightly ambiguous as to what all utilities paid means, and you have been there for a long time, there is a chance that the landlord has set a precedent as to what is included in your rent and you should be able to get at least most of that stuff turned back on with a little more pressure. 

I am currently living in Hot S...

I am currently living in Hot Springs, Arkansas. As I was served an eviction notice I will be moving from the residence by the 14th of July. I will call around to the local attorneys and see what information I can get but so far I'm told I have to pay from several hundred to thousands of dollars even for information as to what my rights are.

There should be some free reso...

There should be some free resources available from your state Atoorney General, legal aide, or a Better Business Bureau type organization. 

Question asked:  Does my landl...

Question asked:  Does my landlord have the right to turn off my heat and air unit and refuse to turn it back on? I live in an apartment that is all utilities paid. Never had a problem for 3 years until now. I have asked repeatedly to turn it back on and its refused. Whether you are responsible for the utilities or the landlord is responsible, the Landlord CANNOT turn off the utilities without a proper notice (if written in the Lease Agreement and  giving you ample time to take care of the problem), but definitely not out of retaliation and not at all in some States. What the Landlord can do is to send you a Termination of Tenancy for violating the Lease Agreement if your lease states you are responsible for the Utilities.  If it doesn't and the landlord is responsible, then the landlord has no right, no matter what, to turn off the utilities, unless criminal activities is taking place and putting other people in harms way by the continue use of electric.

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog