Pet Deposit

I just read on your website that there is no such thing as a non-refundable pet deposit. The lease I signed calls for a non-refundable pet deposit of $450. I also have a refundable damage deposit of $900. I just moved out and my landlord and I did a walkthrough - he agreed there is no damage, but complained of a "dog smell" and said he wanted to have the carpet cleaned. He is saying the carpet cleaning cost will come out of my refundable $900 damage deposit - while I think it should come out of the nonrefundable pet deposit of $450 ... since he claims it smells like dogs (which to me, is pet-related). Also of note - the carpet wasn't clean when I moved in. I never complained, just bought lots of Resolve and a really good vacuum. What can I do?

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog