Deposits

Has anyone ever tried upping the security deposit for pets instead of charging two seperate fees (as in a security deoposit and a pet deposit)? Has that worked well for anyone?

Yes.  And I have had success w...

Yes.  And I have had success with that.  I think people underestimate the volaume of incidental damage that a pet will cause to the property, and underestimate the owner's willingness to spend on their pet as well.  I typically charge $500 min. for a pet of any kind as a deposit, and up to half of the original security deposit (or one month's rent as standard) for a large animal.  I take this extra charge and lump it into the original deposit so there is one.

I believe that in my area (and...

I believe that in my area (and therefore likely in others) there is a limit on the security deposit. In my area the limit is an amount equal to two months rent so be sure not to run afoul of this!

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog