Best Practices for Tenant Screening

I know we've discussed this in various areas of the community, but I'm curious what everyone thinks are some of the best practices for tenant screenings. Any personal rules you follow etc etc...?

I always make sure to order ev...

I always make sure to order eviction records so that I can get detailed records. I know that they show up in public records and everything, but I like to be able to compare them.

I always like to have a set pr...

I always like to have a set process of how I do it and written guidelines so that no one can ever claim I was unfair in my judgemnts. Well... They can claim it, but they'd be making it up :)

This is a great thread! Very h...

This is a great thread! Very helpful if you're still trying to figure everything out. Is there a specific place I can go to find out EXACTLY what is needed in order to deny some one based on a bad credit score? I don't want to miss something?

Sunshine, you may want to chec...

Sunshine, you may want to check your local laws. Some of the details change. I always make sure to have a thorough criminal check. I have a no tolerance policy for criminal history.

I prefer to go to a place that...

I prefer to go to a place that allows me to run them with permission, veruses the tenant/applicant running it and then handing it to me

I prefer to get the tenant scr...

I prefer to get the tenant screenings done at the same place instead of bouncing from one company to another. This makes sure that I'm getting it from the same credit agency as well as keeps the layout the same. I like to keep it as steady as possible so that no one can say I was playing favorites.

What would all of you consider...

What would all of you consider to be 'acceptable' criminal activity that you might overlook when a report is run? Is there any, or do you not let any slide? I'm wondering if time should be a factor as well...

I'm not sure I would accept an...

I'm not sure I would accept any criminal activity. With all the time it does take to find the right tenant and the complete (and often expensive) hassel it is to evict someone, I just don't think I'd take that chance.

Do all criminal checks include...

Do all criminal checks include local and national records?

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog