Home ownership into renting - No landlord to check

Do you have any advice for a tenant coming from home-ownership into renting, therefore don't have any landlords to check?

You can still verify income, g...

You can still verify income, get a credit report and all the other items you normally check. How they treated their own home is not a good indicator of how they will treat a rental so you are really limited to financial inquiry

In addition to what Inkwell st...

In addition to what Inkwell stated, (a responder on here who has my utmost respect)  a credit report tells you more than just a credit score.  It will tell you how many jobs that person has worked at and when.  It will tell you how many times they moved in a year.  It will tell you how many evictions they have had.  It will tell you if they have bounced a check and how much they owe in Utilities.  In this economy everyone most likely has bad credit.  I never based my decision on a credit score...NEVER!  I based it on the above information I received on the Credit Report (not the score) , and how I veiwed them personally when showing them a rental home. I would also call their employer to verify employment.  There is a book out called "Blink".  Been around a long time.  The author says that what we perceive someone or something to be in the blink of an eye, is usually correct.  

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog