Landlord Tenant Dispute over Water Charge

I reside in one apt and rent the other apt. There is one water meter due to one large water heater. We are 2 people and they are also. I have given them an estimate of water monthly and it worked out great. I couldn't of estimated it better. They had a baby about 6 weeks ago and NY has also recently given a 7% water increase. The lease states I can adjust water charges at anytime deemed necessary. I will use this as an example, $25.00 water charge therefore I now have added $12.50  and small amount for increase water charge I have no control over. Tenant does not want to pay either. They claim that a baby doesn't use to much water. Note. They have a washer in the basement. Lots of baby clothes being washed. If a baby doesn't use much water at just what age will a person count as using water. They gave a rent check without the additional amount now requested. They now also claim that I have green space and they do not. Only green space is the front lawn and all I do there is work on it. Do they want to walk there child on the lawn? ok. They are also talking about I water the lawn well rent includes expenses for the house and in this case there water bill reflects on this expense also which is not part of the rent. AM I wrong in anyway?  I do have a small pool also which is full and I do not use much and do not add much water into it. They originally rented knowing I do water the lawn and I do have a pool and lease was signed with shared estimated bill. I really would like your feedback. Thanks

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog