Owner vs Property Manager

Does anyone find that it's easier, if you're the owner of the property, to act as if you're the property manager? It may sound a bitt strange, but I was doing some reading the other day and came across an article about it. I can't remember where now... The gist of it was that a tenant may be more responsive and friendlier if they think you're not the top person.One of the things I found most interesting was that it may allow for more time to think about certain requests and such. If the tenant knows they are speaking to the owner, they'll expect an answer immediately, and I know I like to take some time to think about certain requests. You can say that you need to speak to the owner and so on to give yourself time to think. I just thought it was interesting and wanted to see if anyone had put it into practice?

On various properties, I am th...

On various properties, I am the owner and manager, on other properties I have a property manager. If you're the type of person that finds it hard to say No, give the property to the property manager. If you're the type that will waive late fees, etc.....give it to a property manager. But when you consider how much money you will spend in property management fees, it is better sometimes to manage it yourself.

I saw this article and thought...

I saw this article and thought of your question. Just wanted to share. http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/03/11/tell-tenants-own/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_mediu...|+A+BiggerPockets+Blog%29

I'm not sure of your situation...

I'm not sure of your situation, but in my case I am the owner along with a silent partner.  I tell my tenants that I am the owner, and that they can contact me directly with requests.  For most requests, I will make the call immediately.  For certain larger requests, however, I tell them that I need to check with my partner before I can give them an answer.

Please login or register to add your reply.

Tenant Screening

Comprehensive credit & criminal screening.
Get access to bankruptcies, employment history, medical records, past addresses, evictions and more.

View Pricing & Get Started

Legal Forms

State-specific legal forms.
Lease agreements, rental applications, lease termination, eviction forms and much more.

Browse Our Legal Forms

Membership Pricing

Our paid membership plans now include free tenant screenings! Greater access to all of our features and the membership pays for itself!

View Pricing & Get Started

LandlordStation News

LandlordStation Blog